Henley Royal Regatta arm badge, probably used to identify an official.
Henley Regatta was established by a group of prominent local residents in 1839 to attract visitors to the town. They remembered the crowds of spectators who had gathered to see the first Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race at Henley in 1829 and were concerned that other riverside towns had already established regattas.
When Prince Albert became patron of the regatta in 1851, it was renamed the Henley Royal Regatta. The new railway station opened in 1857, bringing even larger crowds of visitors.
To this day Henley Royal Regatta remains a stronghold of tradition and etiquette. At the same time, modern organisation ensures that world class rowers from many nations compete annually at Henley-on-Thames.
"The Source of the Thames"
Black and white print from Tomblesons 'Thames' published by Black & Armstrong of London.
Depicts The source in a little rectangle in the middle of an elaborate drawn border including images of Thamesis, wicker jars, poles, anchors and ships sails. The source is a small stream flowing over boulders with sheep grazing in the background.
'The Green Man' - Wedgwood basalt plate with a white foliate head design by John Piper.
The reverse reads "One of an edition of 500 in a series of six designs commissioned by the National Art Collections Fund & Wedgwood"
Complete with original box.