'Henley from the Wargrave Road' by Jan Siberechts.
Oil on canvas in a carved maratta-style frame. Signed J. Siberechts and dated 1698.
The painting depicts the River Thames and the flashlock near Marsh Mills in the foreground, the town of Henley with the old wooden bridge and Church Tower, and agricultural workers in the fields. A fully laden haycart is shown returning towards Henley on the road in the foreground.
' Big Fish Eat Little Fish' by Chris Gollon.
Triptych in oil. Painted after viewing the fish collection at the River & Rowing Museum.
Acquired with aid from Sir Harry Djanogly CBE (?) and the MGC/V & A Purchase Grant Fund.
'View of Barges on the Thames with Henley Beyond' by Frederick Watts.
Framed oil on canvas.
River scene with the river in the foreground and three barges in the centre. The large barge to the right of centre has a covered deck and a figure at the helm to the rear, and is reflected in the water. There is a smaller barge under sail beside it and on the left of centre is a fully laden barge nearing the bank, where there are horses and some figures on the tow path. In the far distance on the right is the bridge and spire of St Marys Church in Henley-on-Thames.
This is possibly the painting entitled Barges on the River Thames at Henley, exhibited at the Society of British Artists in 1839 (no.491) (cited in ‘Works exhibited at the Royal Society of British Artists 1824-1893’ vol2. P. 489).
Purchased by the Museum with grant assistance from the Resource/V & A Purchase Fund and Sir Harry Djanogly CBE..
'Chantry House, Henley' by John Piper dated 1983.
A framed coloured limited edition screen print, signed and numbered 95/100.
The Chantry house is a medieval timber-framed building adjacent to St Mary's Church. Probably originally a Merchant's House it has storage on the ground floor opening onto the riverside wharves, a middle floor opening into the present churchyard and an upper floor. It was later used to house the King James' Grammar School and the Dame Perriam Bluecoat School.