Object Detail


Object Name
badge
Description
Henley Royal Regatta arm badge, probably used to identify an official.

Henley Regatta was established by a group of prominent local residents in 1839 to attract visitors to the town. They remembered the crowds of spectators who had gathered to see the first Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race at Henley in 1829 and were concerned that other riverside towns had already established regattas.

When Prince Albert became patron of the regatta in 1851, it was renamed the Henley Royal Regatta. The new railway station opened in 1857, bringing even larger crowds of visitors.

To this day Henley Royal Regatta remains a stronghold of tradition and etiquette. At the same time, modern organisation ensures that world class rowers from many nations compete annually at Henley-on-Thames.
Collection
Henley Town Council
Associated Period
20th century
Associated Event
Henley Royal Regatta, The
Credit Line
Image reproduced by kind permission of the Stewards of Henley Royal Regatta

 Share